Return to the Care Givers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to thank nursing home staff?

Posted by Alisande (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 19, 05 at 14:32

My husband died this week after two years in a nursing home. I'm not sure of the best way to thank the staff, in particular four nurses who gave me updates several times a day for the past few weeks. Individual notes? Individual gifts? One gift for all the staff on the unit? Any ideas?

Thanks,

Susan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to thank nursing home staff?

Oh, Susan, I am so sorry to hear this news. I know it's been a long road for you. My greatest condolences.

As for the staff, I'd check with the administration at the nursing home. There may be rules about employees accepting gifts; I know there are rules against this at Mother's assisted living complex. A personal note would surely be appreciated, and a note to the office about the compassion and skill of these staff members will be nice, too, because it might go on their records as a recommendation when raise time comes around.

Great hugs, Susan.

Helene

o

Susan,

I'm so sorry to hear about your husband. I would suggest food as a good choice -- perhaps send a nice basket with chocolates, fruit, etc. And by all means, send personal notes. I finally sent a note to one aide who had taken wonderful care of my mother. I couldn't do it until nearly a year after Mom died, but I know she still worked there and I'm sure it was appreciated.

Last week I ran into the charge nurse on the 3-11 shift, in a Target store. She recognized me immediately -- I had to stop and think for a moment. She gave me a big hug and I told her that I think of everyone often, but simply can't come back to visit -- it's too painful for me. I also told her that I really appreciated what she did and that I know I didn't always agree with her, but I can see now that she is very good at what she does.

o

Please accept my Sincere Sympathy. At such a difficult time how kind of you to think about the staff that cared for your husband. Individual notes are treasured. A fruit basket or home baked cookies is also appreciated to the home or wing where he was cared for. Again, I am so sorry for your loss.

o

Susan, I am sorry to hear of your loss.

Certainly a gift to be shared amongst all the staff members is always appreciated.

If there were any nurses or staff members who were especially helpful or supportive for yourself or your husband, I think a small token of your appreciation and a note would be appropriate as well.

Again, please accept my condolences.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Care Givers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here