SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carrie630

Mom is worried... can you help?

carrie630
13 years ago

Here's the scenario:

They had an old will (we are talking about a couple who DO NOT have a lot of money), but they do have some savings. No one is in a home (at the moment).

The old will was done about 15 years ago; all assets divided equally - that's okay. But, what the lawyer never did was have them fill out Power of Attorney Medical (even for each other plus an alternate); and I am to be the Power of Attorney in case my mother (if father passes) is incoherent.

They met with the lawyer two weeks ago; NOW (I emphasize NOW) my father is showing specific signs of mental problems (dementia - whatever, it could be obvious). If the lawyer sees any "oddities" in his behavior - they will NOT let them sign a new will. (This is know).

My mother - who is younger than father and my sisters - want me to have Power of Attorney, as I would be the one taking care of her in case she fails.

QUESTION: Can Mom give me Power of Attorney in case of incompetency WITHOUT A LAWYER? I've seen on the internet forms you can download. But how it is "official" - notary?

Very confused. Thanks for any help and patience

The reason for these questions is that if I have to take her in, I want to be able to access her checking, etc. and pay her bills in case she cannot until we move her here.

Comments (15)

Sponsored