SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mimi427

Personal Hygiene

mimi427
18 years ago

Once again, I am looking to you wonderful people to share your experiences with me. As most of you know, my mom has moved to my sister's home. I realize that mom is probably still adjusting, it's been less than two weeks. It seems that mom has gone back in her mind to when she moved in with me and is resisting assistance from her aide, the same woman that was here with mom. The problem we are concerned about is her personal hygiene. She showers only once a week, which is what she's been doing for quite some time now, but she always washed up in the sink every morning. Now, the aide tells my sister that she runs the water in the sink, but doesn't wash up and refuses any help from the aide. My feelings on this is you need to pick your battles and this is one battle that needs to be fought; that the aide has to insist on helping her to wash up. My sister is at work when mom wakes up (between 11a - noon), so she can't help out. Mom will NOT wash up at night. She's even fighting to not change her underwear in the morning (Depends - if she hasn't messed them, she won't take them off)....how do you handle this? Do you take a tough approach and just tell her you must let the aide help wash?

Mom's doctor did tell me that a trauma, such as hospitalization or a move could cause a sudden decline and I believe that is what we are seeing now. I call her every night and all she says is "I'm so confused, I don't know where I am, where I am going, what to do", and all I keep calmly saying is "it's ok mom, it will get better"...please help!!

Comments (10)

Sponsored