Return to the Care Givers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Confused about something...

Posted by carrie630 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 13, 10 at 8:20

what else is new? I am very confused about all of the "rules" concerning assets:

Example: What happens if you have a small house, fully furnished house that you own and you have to go into a nursing home... what happens to the furniture, etc. inside?

in other words, my parents live miles away - let's say it is determined that they have to go into assisted living and then funds run out - but they still have their house, with the furniture. While they are in assisted living, do we sell the stuff, give it away, etc. and account for the money in case they go into Medicaid nursing home - when assisted living money runs out?

See my confusion? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Confused about something...

I think you are putting the cart before the horse. IF the situation arises, I suggest you talk to an attorney.

o
RE: Confused about something...

Talking to an attorney is a wonderful idea...I don't think you are getting ahead of yourself at all. Looking back (it's so easy to look back now) I WISH we had discussed all the "ifs" with the family. It would have been so much better if we had formulated a plan of some sort concerning my inlaws, their financial situation, legalitys concerning the property and so on. It's been a struggle to try to make the right choices about things. I suggest talking to your parents first regarding what their preferences would be and then possibley talking to the lawyer about the best legal steps to take "just in case". I've had my MIL for 3 years now, I'm home with her fulltime as her caregiver. It's impossible for me to leave her to take care of anything....and my husband has to take a day from work to handle the least little thing. (and after 3 years, those little things keep popping up, believe me). Be prepared--I so wish we had been better prepared to deal with all this.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Care Givers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here