SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mimi427

UTIs

mimi427
18 years ago

Once again, I'm looking to you good people for information. I've tried to do several searches on the 'net on UTIs and Alzheimer's and I'm coming up with zilch. I remember hearing it or reading it somewhere (and I'm thinking I read it here, but tried a search and nothing came up) the UTIs are really bad for AD patients.

Mom has Alzheimer's as you all know. For the past two days, she's been complaining a lot that she's hungry and when I tell her she's already had something to eat, she says "but my stomach is hungry". This morning, she got up very early and went to the bathroom, something she hasn't done since she's moved in almost ten month's ago. Mom's aide told me yesterday that when she woke up and went to the bathroom, she took off her Depends and they were really soaked, which is very unusual too. Her aide said there was a strong odor coming from them...which made me think UTI...strong odor, frequent urination, and possible discomfort that she's mistaking for a hungry stomach. So I ran over to her Drs lab and picked up some sterile collection cups, a urine hat and sterile wipes and got a urine sample from her when she got up. It was clear and had no foul odor smell, but I decided to take it over to the lab because I am not medically trained. I took it over to her Drs office and they did a "dip" and it came back positive. they are still sending it out to be cultured, but since it's a holiday weekend, her doc started her on Cipro.

Just wondering ... how serious are UTIs? Once they have one, are they prone to them more often? How can they be prevented? Can they cause more confusion in a pt with AD? thanks for any information you have...Mimi

Comments (7)

Sponsored