Return to the Care Givers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Walkers and umbrellas? Not a match!

Posted by elisamcs (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 24, 07 at 18:39

My dad must use a walker to get around. Thankfully, he can get out of his house - as long as it's not raining. In Florida, it rains a lot. It seems to me that there ought to be an accessory of some type that can support an umbrella and allow the person to grip the walker with both hands. I've looked on the net to no avail. Does anyone have any ideas? Sources? Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Walkers and umbrellas? Not a match!

Wish I could help, but if you don't get a response, post this on the Kitchen Table. Lots of help there. Have you looked in catalogs for medical equipment? My worry would be if it was windy, and it was somehow atached to the walker, it could cause a bad injury.

o

I would bet that you will find no such attachments for walkers, for reasons like what Mariend mentioned.

Product liability lawsuits mean that manufacturers are especially sensitive to products being used improperly and causing accidents.

Of course, you could rig something using bungee cords, but do keep in mind the scenario of a gust of wind causing a real dangerous situation.

o

He would do better in a poncho with a hood. Or a regular raincoat and hat.

There's a danger of slipping on wet sidewalks. I don't think I would encourage him to go out when it's raining. I know he might want to, but let's hope he'll wait until it clears.

o

Good fodder for inventive types...although with a windy day, I too forsee lawsuits. And it's too hot to wear a raincoat in Florida!

o

What's wrong with the Paraplis Umbrella Holder? :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Paraplis Walker/Wheelchair Umbrella

o

I would think an umbrella could be dangerous if the wind turned it inside out. Trying to get control of it could cause a serious fall.

o

holy shades of the seventies... try googling "umbrella hat"!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Care Givers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here