Return to the Care Givers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bath tub chair lifts...

Posted by craftyc (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 5, 09 at 17:10

87 Year old mom....knee replacement...quite arthritic...wants desperately to be able to get in bath tubs again. (hates showers...!!) Anyone have any experience with the lift chairs for bathtubs? any recommendations? Do they go low enough so you don't have to use tons of water? I like the idea of being portable so we don't have to entirely re-do the bathroom.(as opposed to the walk in tubs I've seen) any comments, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. (by her AND me!!!)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bath tub chair lifts...

did you check with your local medical supply stores?: They may not have what you want/need, but can give you some suggestions. But the problem with bath tubs and older people is that can slip and fall too easy. I do not care how much she hates showers, this is a safer way to go.

o
RE: Bath tub chair lifts...

My dad went to the medical store and talked to them.
The guy came out and looked at the tub my mom uses and they got this chair for her to use in the tug. What is nice is that it is portable, has suction cups on bottom of it as this tub you can't screw into it and so you can take it with you and use it. Its all battery operated one. Huge remote to use, you do have to recharge it and so you just plug it. And then you can get handles to hold onto, same thing suction cup ones. My mom got one handle, she climbs in holding the side and handle and into the seat and then clicks to go down in the tub and she loves it so much.

But I did notice though the tub isn't long enough for those seats as her legs can't go flat down as the chair takes so much room but she can soak and bathe and that is what counts.

So, check out those medical stores that have everything to use for those things. And they might suggest something else.

Have no idea what the costs are as my dad is tight lipped about it but I figure its costly any of those gadgets but worth it to be independent again. My mom sure loves that she can once more bathe and not worry about falling as she was and stopped using the bathtub and showered and she hates to shower. Nice that there are things out if you can afford them to use.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Care Givers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here