SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
steppschild

Feeling Exhusted

steppschild
15 years ago

My dad died in 2003 and I have been the sole caregiver to my mother ever since . She has completely refused to do anything for herself since his death. I have done absolutely everything for her and I am tired. She has been very difficult and non-cooperative at best. She is terminally ill and now in hospice. I am self-employed, I was with her usually five days per week, call her each day, AND DID I SAY THAT I AM TRIED.

Last August I had to put her into a board and care facility because I could no longer meet her needs by myself and because a licensed caregiver I hired to fill in the gaps overdosed her and she nearly died.

I have gained more than twenty pounds since caring for her, my health and business have suffered and I feel like I am older than her. She was a good homemaker, but not nurturing at all. She favored my much older, late sister and she was always quick to point out to me that I never quite made the grade compared to her. She told a long time family friend that she felt that I should end my business, leave my boyfriend and move in w/her - this was a few years back.

Anyway, I still feel like I need to call her daily and visit because she hasn't many friends. Could someone please tell me that I have done enough and that I deserve a break? I feel that if I visit her once per week, that it should be enough and as long as I call her every other day. Is it reasonable?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Third-Generation Family-Owned Masonry Supplier in Virginia