Return to the Care Givers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lift chairs

Posted by desertrat2 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 15, 05 at 15:17

Posting under "furniture" also.

Seeking opinions on electric lift-chairs for elderly, infirm patient in my care. My location has few vendors so very limited displays/choices. Internet has many vendors. "Pride" line comes up a lot.

Seeking advice on how to choose, what to look for, etc.

Not price sensitive. Just want comfort, quality, and no problems.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lift chairs

I bought one for my mom, from Pride. She's had it now for about two months and personally, I LOVE it...saves my back. My only problem is she won't let me use it to lift her completely, because she thinks she's falling, but no problem with the chair. I got the "leather" look one, but they are NOT waterproof, so I use pads...run about $1,300 - that includes a massage unit and a heater

o

We had one during my mom's last few months, and life was much easier with it. Mother was paralyzed for her last few months, so the chair was more for us than for her. The kids all loved it!

I have no idea what kind it was. Someone in my parents' community had one they lent to us. It magically appeared one day, and just as magically disappeared after Mother died. We also used a pad in it, as we wanted it to be in good shape for the next person who used it.

o

We had a Pride for my mother, also. Pride is one of the leading manufacturers, tho certainly not the only one. Her chair is fabric, so a pad was necessary. the pad also helps with shifting position while the person is sitting. My mother, also, was fearful of being raised up in the chair.
One caution----take care that the control is not in the chair beside the person. Pressure on the switch can cause it to lift when you are out of the room...dangerous in my mother's case.
Medicare will reimburse for the cost of the motor IF the person can walk unassisted once he/she is on her feet. If he needs assistance of another person to walk, they will not reimburse.
If you get the model that reclines (almost all the way back), it will be easier to change depends, etc without transferring back to the bed. Also allows napping on the side.
Our chair was well worth the $$. DerryW

o

We had a chair like that for my dad, my son called it the launch chair. It made things much easier for him his last few years. I don't recall the brand, but we were quite pleased with it. It made it much easier to keep his feet elevated when he started having ankle edema. Good luck.

o

Derry,
Very good point...not to leave the remote next to the person...I tucked it in next to mom, and you're right...it started and luckily, it was going to the reclining position!!! She also managed to hit the massage button and it scare the he** out of her. Her chair has a big pocket on the side and that's where we keep it now

o

We got a LaZBoy lift chair for my mother and though she was reluctant and tried to cancel the order, she loves it. She sometimes sleeps in it. She was supposed to keep her feet elevated while seated but wouldn't do it until she got this chair.

The saleswoman at the LaZBoy store informed us that Medicare would pay for the motor, and that we could save the sales tax if we got a doctor's prescription for the chair. She helped us with the Medicare paperwork, printed up extra receipts, etc. Very helpful.

o

DH has had a LaZBoy for several years. It is the only thing he can 'control' in his world.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Care Givers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here