SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mikeandbarb_gw

Putting dad into memory care center

mikeandbarb
15 years ago

Dad is in a care center now but it's not the best. Yesterday I was very upset with them cause his legs are swelling and being that he has congestive heart failure I know he has to be treated right away. I had to keep on the nurse to get his medication. Also he had a pacemaker put in on Tuesday and they had not even looked at the stitches or the sores from when the doctor pulled the tape bandage off Wednesday morning, the sores started getting red around them. They only put something on the sores after I'd told them about it.

I went Friday to tour and interview a home that I had learned about through dementia meetings I'd gone to. I like the place very much and it seemed like a great place. The people there seemed happy, when I first got there was a group sitting outside singing, inside I went into the office and one gentlemen doesn't like sitting with the others but likes sitting in the office with the staff and they allow him to stay there. They have two areas for watching TV one for sports and another for movies or shows.

They have a dinning area so that if you wish to have a family dinner you can have the family over there and it's a private room so it's just the family.

Today when I went to see dad there were three people eating at a small round table and he asked if they let family eat there and I told him yes they do but you have to let them know in advance to eat there. So it sounds like he'd like that kind of thing.

It was hard today because dad seemed more like himself and stronger but I know when he's at home and not eating right that he starts going down hill. He is eating three meals a day now where at home he'll only eat one or two. Morning he'd eat a honey bun and a banana, nothing for lunch and dinner is a few slices or Arbby's beef and some beans. He snacked on pumpkin bread and frozen yogurt. I have tried to get him to eat better but without me living there making his meals for him he just would do it.

Last night I prayed for dad not to suffer anymore, I pray for this time to be easy on him and maybe it will go better than I thought it would. My husband said he was sure that dad was happier seeing me everyday but I can't keep it up my home and health can't stand up to it but until I get things in order I have to keep going. I have all his affairs to handle. He owns two homes we went yesterday to mow and weedeat and check on everything. My son is living in one of the homes but he's not able to keep up with all of it himself.

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor