SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ginnier_gw

Moved my folks to NH

ginnier
15 years ago

My dad has gotten worse and worse with Alz. He was starting to wonder and couldn't find his way back to their apt. in indep. living. He even walked into the wrong apt. and used their bathroom (they'd just moved in and this was rather frightening to them I'm sure). Mom can't chase after him when he goes out the apt. door, so the stress was increasing for her. She finally agreed to move to NH with him, since I wouldn't want her to stay by herself and dad being 40 mi. away near me. The adjustment has been difficult for her, cuz she has "no one to talk to", hopefully she'll adjust and start making friends. Dad has been doing okay, fretful at times, but he sleeps a lot and then is up and down all night. They found out his sugar was 400, so he's been given insulin; but mom says they give him mashed pot. and gravy every day. He does love to eat. I don't know what to believe; they supposedly have him on a diabetic diet.... It's all a challenge, but Dad is where he needs to be. I can visit Mom so much easier with them both in my town.

I'm having trouble keeping Dad in enough pants; they keep disappearing (I think truly, they go to the laundry, but still...). We've marked everything, but in the Alz. Unit everything is everybody's sort of :) I am so thankful for those aides that work the Unit; they have such patience!

Comments (8)

Sponsored