Return to the Care Givers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
It's my turn to ask a question

Posted by agnespuffin (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 23, 06 at 17:50

With your experience with the elderly, have any of you known of them having the pins and needles feeling in one leg. I mean the kind of feeling that you have after an arm or leg has been "asleep" and then begins to "wake" but in this case, it comes and goes except when they walk. Sitting or standing causes it to start. Walking seems to help.

I think this patient might have a condition that could be correctable, but she seems to think it's old age. I don't know what she has told her doctor, if she has even mentioned it to him.

I can see that it might be a result of arthritis in the hip or spine pressing on nerves. I just wonder if any of you knew of this, and if so, do you know what it's called?
Thanks
PB

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: It's my turn to ask a question

Hi Agnes
I have that in both legs all the time, its due to nerve damage and sadly can not be fixed in my case. Its due to 3 back surgeries in the last 30 years. The last time the scar tissue has wrapped around the sciatic nerve and was actually strangling the sciatic nerve. It could also be due to poor blood circulation which happens frequently with the elderly, my dad experiences it often.
Alberta

o

Thanks, it could be something like that. I don't think she has ever had back surgery, but I can see that a bone spur or arthritic overgrowth would cause that kind of pressure on the sciatic nerve.

I was sorry to read about about your family and their health problems. You have really had it. Hang in there and do your best.

Now, about the Medicaid. They may get tacky about getting it for your parents since they can afford Blue Cross. I don't know about how your state is, but mine is getting tight about granting Medicaid to anyone they think has funds or family to foot the bill. It's going to be rough financially to have someone elderly and sick.

o

Hi Agnes or PB, not sure which is which, LOL, the Blue Cross/Blue Shield was part of my moms retirement package from 1983. I think medicare is her primary and BC/BS picks up the balance, but I may be wrong on the order of it. We are in NY, not sure how this medicaid acceptance works, but it sure was rough trying to come up with all the paper work this woman from medicaid wanted. Thanks so much for your understanding, :)
Alberta

o

I really don't know if NY would be different, but Yes, Medicare would be her primary with BC picking up the balance of the approved amount. Medicaid would pick up and pay anything that Medicare didn't approve.....and that list is getting longer and longer. Since it's part of her retirement package, it's hard to know what the Medicaid program would say. I have a feeling that a lot of that sort of thing depends on who gets to handle the application. It's certainly worth trying.

Anyway, good luck!

(the PB part goes waaaayy back. I had to change my name, I just forget and sign the PB from habit.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Care Givers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here