Return to the Care Givers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

Please give me advice on SSD benefits re: child under 18

Posted by shelly2 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 22, 06 at 17:19

I have a question to ask and if anyone out there knows anything about this subject could they please reply.
A man is collecting SSD. Therefore his child under the age of 18 is collecting benefits as the child of a disabled wage earner. If the man, out of spite, decides to go off SSD just so his child cannot collect anything, can anything be done about this so the young child can still collect.
If this happens, and benefits stop, does the child's guardian have any recourse on the childs behalf?

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Please give me advice on SSD benefits re: child under 18

Is there any order in place for child support? If the child and/or guardian must go on any public assistance because of the loss of income, then the city/state/county would go after the man for child support.

The child's guardian may want to talk this over with the local county social services department.

RE: Please give me advice on SSD benefits re: child under 18

Fairegold, there is an order in place for child support. The father has not been working so no monies were collected. Now the father is on disability and rather than have any money taken out of his disability to be given to his child, he would rather go off disability and have no money given to both himself and child rather than have a diminished benefit for himself. If this happens, can the child still be eligible to collect any benefits? Public assistance is not necessary.

RE: Please give me advice on SSD benefits re: child under 18

You probably want to talk to someone expert in dealing with SS--probably a lawyer who specializes in this kind of case. But it would seem only logical, that if the parent weren't collecting SS, and were alive--there would be no possibility of the child collecing SS. Otherwise, every child of every deadbeat dad would be getting SS and that's just not the way the system works.

But do consult a good lawyer who knows the legalities. Maybe there is some loophole, or some other avenue that will help support the child's needs.

RE: Please give me advice on SSD benefits re: child under 18

Definately start with your local county Family support services first, before you talk to an attorney. Jsut because that will be free, and the attorney will not be.

What you will probably have is a deadbeat dad, and if he's not meeting the child support payments required by court order, then the amount is accruing, and with interest, according to the law. Any income he gets can be garnished, and perhaps assets will come into play... check out the free services available to you first, then a good attorney.

RE: Please give me advice on SSD benefits re: child under 18

It usually works like this, in my state anyway, the person with the disability will collect and then children also collect under the family account. There is so much money for family (excluding disabled person) that gets divided evenly, whether their are 2 or 10 children.

If he no longer qualifies for SSD, then no they are not entitled to it. Their money can get sent to wherever their custodian parent wants it to go.

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Care Givers Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here