SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ginnier_gw

Guilty but caring

ginnier
17 years ago

I feel so guilty leaving my folks in their independent living apt.! I feel like I should still travel the 45 min. to see them and take them out and about a little. But they really have just about everything they need except their lil darlin' to hover over them...LOL Help me! My friend tells me I'm in denial (I originally thought she was talking about them and all their issues, but now I wonder if she wasn't being a bit more... subtle).

My folks' health is such that they cannot do more than lunch out and a very teensy bit of shopping, so their BODIES are better off staying in that apt. and just going down to meals in the dining room. It's all they can do to walk the 100' to the washers and dryers a couple times, just to do one load!!!

But I feel like I'm IT. I'm the sparkle in their lives...and that's not really true, they have a few once a month friends that make the rare phone call or visit. Should I slow down my visiting and just go on one day a week??? They like to go to church (but I really think it's somewhere to go and they would probably not truly miss the service/communion) but I think they know it's important to me to go to MY church, so they bank of my wanting them to hear God's word and have a chance to worship in their lifelong church. I do not know how to slowly back out of these visits, I feel guilty not showing up once or twice a week. Sometimes it feels pretty hollow going home afterwards; why have I done all this driving?

Anybody going thru this??

I have accomplished this move from their home to independent living. I have gotten almost all of their financial affairs in the right hands in case anything should happen to them. I have their car; they cannot sit behind the wheel!!! All this feels good!

But there's no end to it, is there...:(

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm