SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greekshambo

Help! I want to spank my 90 year old mom!

shambo
18 years ago

I've spent the last year hearing about my mother's constipation problems & trying to get her to do something about them. I spent the last two days dealing with her fecal impaction. Tuesday included a doctor visit & trip to the hospital for an x-ray. Wednesday was an all day trip to the hosptial emergency room for treatment that included another x-ray, enemas, manual extraction, & finally that foul tasting liquid they give people before a colonoscopy. Finally by the end of the day, she had, indeed, pooped.

I left her with strict instructions form her doctor & from me. She needs to take 2-4 Metamucil capsules daily along with 2 stool softeners each night at bedtime, and, finally, a mild laxative (Dulcolax) every 3 days. In addition she is supposed to increase her water intake considerably.

Today when I talked with her, she told me she wasn't going to take the "stomach medicines" because she was OK now. I told her that she needed to take them to ensure regularity, otherwise she'd end up back at the emergency room with people sticking their hands up her butt again. She honestly didn't understand the concept.

I'm so frustrated right now. She's in an assisted living facility but monitors her own medications. I'm ready to tell the facility to take over because she gets so darn stubborn. However, she begs me (literally) to not have the facility put in charge of her medications.

What should I do? Threaten her with facility oversight? Call her every day to check on whether she had taken the Metamucil & stool softeners? Set out the medications in those daily pill organizers & check every time I visit? Please give me any advice you have, and thanks in advance.

Comments (21)

Sponsored