Return to the Care Givers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mom's gone!!

Posted by sharlee (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 12, 05 at 14:20

Dear Friends,
Last evening was my mother's final day after not drinking anything for two days. I can't even begin to explain her appearance, but it was the saddest thing I've experienced. Perhaps she weighed 70#. My brother & I & DH were with her. Bless her soul, she held on for so long with her dementia that took her from the positive person she was & the sense of humor we admired. She always said, it's "Mind Over Matter". That saying is profound to me.
Bless all of you who have lost their Mothers & those of you still caring for a parent.

Love, Sharlee

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mom's gone!!

Sharlee, my heartfelt condolences on the passing of your Mother...I think she was blessed to have you as her daughter. Please take care of yourself now, you have been through so much. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Patti

o

Sharlee, My thoughts and prayers to you and family. Seeing my Mom go thur 14 days of not eating or drinking was the most painful thing I have ever gone thur. One day at a time and seek God's strength and Grace is all we can do. May comfort and peace come...knowing your Mom is at rest. You have been thur it dear lady. God Bless, Nora

o

Dear Sharlee....it has been a sad and difficult time for you. It is so hard to see them just fade away. It really IS "mind over matter"...your Mom was right. When the mind no longer works, the body doesn't either.
I am glad you were able to be with her. Take care, Derry

o

Sharlee, I'm so sorry for your loss. It is so hard to see this, you're right. My mother was a vibrant, lively woman and her illness reduced her to a shadow of her former self. I truly believe she is free and happy now, with my dad.

Blessings to you and your family. You were a wonderful daughter and you did all the right things.

o
RE: Mom's gone!! -- more

Sharlee, I'm catching up on posts now and I did not realize you just lost your dad a few days ago -- my deepest sympathies. Your parents are surely together now and free from their pain and suffering. I hope you have support and love around you during this most difficult time.

((((Sharlee))))

o

so sorry for your loss of your mom and your dad! DianePA

o

((((Sharlee)))
My deepest condolences to you,
Mimi

o

Hi Sharlee, I am sorry for your loss.

I haven't read or posted here in a long, long time but I used to post here a lot. I lost my sweet Mom 3 years ago August 12 after taking care of her at home for 9 years. She had Alzheimer's and then cancer and diabetes caused by the cancer. I sat outside all night the evening my mom died and looked up at the sky. I always told my mom she would be my shooting star in the night sky. THat night as I sat outside, I saw my mom's star shoot across the sky and I knew everything was okay and she was a whole person again.

It is hard losing our parents no matter what our age. You are a wonderful daughter.

You have my condolences.

Anne

o

Sharlee, my SIL gave me this poem the day after my mom died and I felt better for reading it. My mom's mind and body were broken but in death she became whole again.

The Sailing Ship

I am standing on the seashore.

Suddenly a ship at my side spreads her white sails to the morning breeze and starts out for the blue ocean.

She is an object of beauty and of strength;
and I stand and I watch her until at length she is only a ribbon of white cloud just above where sea and sky mingle with each other.

Then someone at my side says,

"There, she's gone."
Gone where?
Gone from my sight, that's all.

For she's just as large in mast and hull and spar as she was when she left my side; and just as able to bear her load of living freight to the place of destination. Her diminished size is in me, not in her; and just at that moment when someone at my side says:

"There, she's gone,"

There are other voices on the far and
distant shore ready in joy to ring out
the happy shout

"Ah, there she comes!"

Words found in the wallet of
Colonel Marcus, of the Israeli Army, when he was killed in action on June 11th, 1948

o

I'm so sorry for your loss, Sharlee...She was fortunate to have you for a daughter. God bless you and your family.

Blessings
Linda

o

That's a beautiful poem, Cherryfizz. I read it at my mom's funeral. I believe it was written by Henry Holland. My friend John suggested it to me when I was looking for something to read, as he'd read it at his mother's funeral.

Kind of sums it up perfectly, doesn't it?

o

Sharlee, I am so sorry to hear of your loss. May you always have lovely memories.

Helene

o

Sharlee you are in my thoughts and prayers and may your Mother rest in peace and peace be with you hugs Imabest

o

Sharlee, many of us understand the pain and distress you're going through. May God bless and comfort you...

o

Dear Sharlee, i am so sorry for your loss.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Care Givers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here