SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
albertar

I'm a new poster in this area. Long Vent!

albertar
17 years ago

Hi everyone

I'm Alberta and I'm new to this area of the boards. For the past 3 months I've been trying my best to help my ailing parents, ages 86 and 82. Dad is now in a nursing home, diagnosed with alzheimers and dementia. He is legally blind and very, very hard of hearing. The dementia started in May of this year, after a fall. He was hospitalized for a week and a CT was done where they found either dementia or alzhemiers or both. My mom has heart problems and has had a pacemaker since 2000. Since February of this year she started telling us that the pacemaker was causing her pain, she had lost weight and it was really bulging in her skin. Late May she was already to have it taken out and replaced, but her coumadin levels were too high and the doctor decided to wait and keep her off coumadin for more than 5 days. During that time she had chest pains and was rushed to the hosptial. A cardiac catherization was done and they found more blockages, stents were inserted (again) and she went home. Two weeks later more chest pain, again hospitalization. Long story short, she was hospitalized 5 times since May, also complaining about the pain the pacemaker was causing. It finally came through her skin and got infected. Next stop a cardiothoraic surgeon. He kept her on antibiotics for a week in the hospital then removed the old pacemaker, a week later the new one was implanted. I took her home a week later, 2 days later she was back in the hospital, again with the infection. She should be released tomorrow.

Since May, this has been happening with my parents. Early July my husband had chest pains and was rushed to the hosptial also. He was diagnosed with something wrong with the left ventricle of his heart, they wanted to put in stents but he refused. A month ago my daughter in law was diagnosed with breast cancer, young only 36.

I have to say I feel like I'm loosing my mind. When it rains it certainy pours. I've applied for medicaid for my parents, they now have medicare and blue cross/blue shield and I've never been so exasperated in my life due to all the documents this case worker wanted. Thankfully one of my brothers is now going to take over my parents banking needs since mom made one heck of a mess of the check book. This is really hard, but I'm doing the best I can.

Alberta

Comments (3)

Sponsored