SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wodka

Chemo Brain?

wodka
15 years ago

My sister, who has stage 4 lung cancer that has spread to her spine and shoulder, was admitted to the hospital yesterday. She was totally "out of it" - starting late Saturday night. When her sons called the nurse, she said to just keep an eye on her and call back in the morning. Well, it was worse yesterday, so they took her to the hospital.

She was very fitful, didn't know where she was, to the point that they were discussing putting her in restraints. They did a CAT scan, which ruled out brain cancer and stroke, but said they would do an MRI this morning, because sometimes the fluids don't show up on a CAT, and there could be cancerous fluid going to her brain.

I live 3 hours away, so was getting things in order so I could head up there this morning, when I got a call from my other sister, who said that my she had just talked to our sick sister, who was as lucid as could be, and wondered what in the world happened yesterday.

So, now they are saying that the reason for her being that way was "chemo brain" and that it will happen in spurts. She is on very strong medication and also going through chemo once a week and radiation 5 times a week. I had read about chemo brain when our dad was dying of cancer several years ago, but I never thought it would be this severe?!

If any of you have experienced this first hand or with a relative, any advice would be extremely appreciated. Thank you.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA