Return to the Care Givers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Elder financial abuse

Posted by sushipup (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 27, 10 at 11:04

This excellent article is on the Red Tapes Chronicles, Bob Sullivan's blog on MSNBC.

An estimates $2.6 billion dollars is stolen from the inform elderly. I'm only surprised that it's not more!

Here is a link that might be useful: Stealing from Grandma and Grandpa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Elder financial abuse

I think over all that the elders loose alot more than anyone realizes, whether it is relatives, neighbors or friends. As we get older, we either have to trust someone or suspect everyone. Also it could be where we live, but then too many times in smaller cities, the older people have trusted their friends and neighbors too much, too long.
If we all watch out we can protect many.

o
RE: Elder financial abuse::

After reading the article, just be aware that most bankers do not watch people's account/amount of money withdrawn as they use to. When I was a teller many years ago, one of our customers ask for a sizeable amount. I just felt something was wrong, and after telling her that I needed my supervisor to approve it, quietly filled her in (supervisor), she then quietly went to the manager, she then came over, because we knew the customer, and the manager greeted her, asked how she was doing etc, meanwhile supervisor called the daughter who was a teacher, and the person with the customer ran out the door. After that the customer just broke down. We then put safeguards in so that would not happen again. And we got a nice box of candy to share. Both daughter and mom were so thankful.
But I have seen way too many tellers just hand the cash out, no questions asked.

o
RE: Elder financial abuse

"This excellent article is on the Red Tapes Chronicles, Bob Sullivan's blog on MSNBC."

This is an excellent article. Thanks.

I picked up a book at the library that was so good I bought a copy to give to my parents. If you thought being neglected by your kids was bad, read about what can happen to you if a court forces an guardianship on you (or a relative) against your (their) will. Colluding judges, attorneys, etc working together to cut heirs out of the loop.

The Retirement Nightmare: How to Save Yourself from Your Heirs and Protectors : Involuntary Conservatorships and Guardianships (Golden Age Series) (Paperback)ISBN-10: 1573927961
by Diane G. Armstrong Ph.D.

"Armstrong notes that while people have become quite adept at estate planning (managing investments, minimizing taxes, and writing wills), most have not planned for physical or mental incapacity during their lifetime.  This is precisely what makes them vulnerable to "protective proceedings."  She recommends a series of legal documents be drafted including durable powers of attorney for finances and healthcare, a living trust, a living will and appointment in writing, ironically, a conservator or guardian.  This should protect you if despite your best efforts to avoid an involuntary proceeding, a judge decides that a guardianship is just what you need.

Armstrong's book included sample legal forms, state-by-state appendices, elderly resources and an extensive bibliography."

A link that might be useful:

www.retirementnightmare.com/feedback.htm

o
Bank tellers

"When I was a teller many years ago, one of our customers ask for a sizeable amount. I just felt something was wrong, and after telling her that I needed my supervisor to approve it, quietly filled her in (supervisor), she then quietly went to the manager, she then came over, because we knew the customer, and the manager greeted her, asked how she was doing etc, meanwhile supervisor called the daughter who was a teacher, and the person with the customer ran out the door. After that the customer just broke down. We then put safeguards in so that would not happen again."

Good point about making sure you know the people at your bank and have safeguards in place to prevent just this sort of thing.

I hope they got the person trying to fleece this poor woman.

o
One more thing!

This ties in with the book I suggested.

"Guardianship/Conservatorship is Bad for your health and wealth!

GOOD LAW �" GONE BAD!

The purpose of the law - known both as guardianship and conservatorship

is to “GUARD” and “CONSERVE”

* To GUARD “incapacitated” or “incompetent” people from harming themselves
* To CONSERVE their assets and property; and
* To prevent them from becoming a “public charge.”
BUT SOMETHING’S GONE TERRIBLY WRONG!

Over the years, a growing uncaring and unjust judicial system has helped convert guardianship/conservatorship from an appropriate law to one which, if misused, is damaging to the general public. At present, it operates to ensnare the most vulnerable people in a larger and larger trawling net, now including those merely physically "incapacitated"! It has become a feeding trough for unethical lawyers and other "fiduciaries" appointed by the courts to protect, but many of whom become nothing more than predators.

Wards, instead of being protected by the system, are victimized by it. Strangers are given total and absolute control of life, liberty, and property of their wards. Wards of the state lose all rights involving self-determination, including:

• the right to contract, including the right to choose a lawyer;
• the right to control their assets and make financial decisions;
• the right to remain in their own home and protect it from sale;
• the right to protect and enjoy their personal property;
• the right to choose where to live;
• the right to accept or refuse medical treatment, including psychotropic drugs;
• the right to decide their social environments and contacts;
• the right to assure prompt payment of taxes and liabilities;
• the right to vote;
• the right to drive;
• the right to marry; and
• the right to complain.

After being stripped of all their rights, wards are left defenseless and subject to exploitation by the very people chosen to protect them; they are now invisible and voiceless.

Uncaring/corrupt judges misuse the law and engage in blatant due process, civil/human rights violations. Victims aren’t always given notice of hearings at which their competence will be adjudicated, aren’t always allowed to attend, and often don’t have lawyers. If the court does appoint lawyers, often they are too closely affiliated with other professionals who make their living in this special area; and do not properly represent the victims’ interests. Corrupt judges do not apply the required evidentiary standards in making adjudications of incompetency, and frequently fail to obey the protective statutes, or include specific findings of fact.

Homes are sold to insiders at below market! Contents - family heirlooms, jewelry, photographs, etc. - disappear, either stolen outright or sold at auction. Estate assets are rapidly paid out to the fiduciaries in exorbitant "fees" and "commissions" until there is nothing left!

“Fiduciaries” are given power of life and death, burying their wards in nursing homes where they are kept chemically restrained with unnecessary and dangerous drugs; family members are denied any say in their care, and sometimes denied visitation, except under guard at their own expense!

Hard to believe this is happening in America? Believe it!

AND GUESS WHAT HAPPENS AFTER THE COURT-APPOINTED FIDUCIARIES TAKE EVERYTHING AND LEAVE THEIR WARDS WITH NOTHING? A shocking twist: the American Taxpayer, whom these statutes are supposed to protect, is actually now PAYING THE TAB FOR THEIR CONTINUED LIFELONG CARE UNDER MEDICAID while the people who are "licensed to steal" enjoy their unearned and unjust enrichment. INSTEAD OF PROTECTING THE PUBLIC INTEREST, GUARDIANSHIP HAS INDEED BECOME A BURDEN TO THE TAXPAYER!… an extremely ironic, costly, and appalling consequence of a good law gone bad! Some fiduciaries claim that what they're doing (while filling their pockets) is to "spend down" the assets specifically to qualify the ward for Medicaid! No way!!! That's not what the law intended!"

A link that might be useful:

National Association to Stop Guardian Abuse
www.stopguardianabuse.org/

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Care Givers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here