Return to the Care Givers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cell phones for seniors

Posted by margad (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 27, 08 at 7:59

I am looking for a very simple cell phone without bells and whistles. Has anyone tried the Jitterbug? If so, do they like it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. It should have large numbers.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cell phones for seniors

I am not sure about Jitterbug but I can tell you that Verizon offers a phone for seniors, has larger numbers and very few bells and whistles......just the basics and it is not so small that it is hard to hold. I looked at the phone for my brother with PD, did not work for him because of the PD, but looked like a nice phone for the elderly.

o
RE: cell phones for seniors, more

I just heard an ad on the radio for AT&T and they not only have a phone for seniors they also have a special plan for people 65 and over.........I would check all the options out and then you can make your choice.

o

I got a Kyocera K7 Rave phone with Virgin Mobile's pay-as-you-go service just like DH and I have. You can still buy them refurbished very cheap on the Virgin Mobile site; they are very basic. The buttons are not large, but my mother has no trouble punching them with a pencil eraser.

The great thing is, she is very hard of hearing but can hear better on this phone than on her hard-wired ones. There is one friend she only calls on the cell now, because the friend kind of mumbles. ;)

The minimum to keep the account current is $15 every 90 days.

o

I love the pay as you go phones. I also like things simple, but am managing ok with my Motorola.

o

I read in our local paper that consumers are getting tired of the contracts they have to sign and are going to prepaid. My cost is between $7. to $10 a month and the minutes roll over. I pay $100. a year, so I don't have to remember to renew the minutes so often. At that price I can't text or surf. I never use all of my minutes so I use it for long distance. I ordered T-Mobil To Go online and got a $125 phone for $30. I also carry the cell with me around the house in case of an emergency, you know, "I've fallen and can't get up". LOL

o

Be aware that Just 5 does not provide service. You have to take the SIM card out of your phone and put it into the Just5 phone. Also to get help with the SOS button on the back, 5 numbers must be programed into the phone. I would go with Verzon or another known company.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Care Givers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here