SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fairegold

The people you meet, plus new update

fairegold
18 years ago

So, last weekend, they moved someone into the room across from Mother, a very gaunt man, with a nice woman who's visited all day every day. We've said hello, and today she brought their little Am. Eskimo dog to visit, and we talked (it's one of the rescues from a local breeder who died suddenly a couple of years ago). Somehow she mentioned that "Alvina" is only 68 but acts like a third child. I had assumed it is a man, so I asked what the relationship is.

Turns out that they were married as husband and wife for many years before Alvin had the sex-change operation..

Now for Mother's update. Today Mother didn't do as well, she felt nauseous and did not eat lunch. The mobile xray lab came in and did a chest xray, and there is a spot consistent with fluid, pneumonia. Small now. I got quite an education about comfort care. She's only eating maybe 20-30% of her meals, at best. I know that she does not want extra care to keep her alive. But right now, we'll see how

she feels tomorrow.

WOuld anyone be interested in me writing out the 'comfort care" measures from the list I got today? It's educational. Each item gets a yes/no decision. Sobering.

Comments (11)

Sponsored