SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fairegold

It's something new every day

fairegold
18 years ago

And today it is delusions. Out of the blue.

Monday, she thought that one of the residents who wanders the halls and comes into rooms (harmless and the staff all like her very much) had put her name on Mother's wheelchair with tape. Yesterday, we had a tough time trying to understand what Mother wanted, and with the help of an CNA, I figured what clothes she wanted from home, but the discussion went all over the map, and she was quite upset.

At 6 last night (I had left at 4 PM), the lead nurse called me to say that Mother had told the PT that she was depressed over bad news and didn't want to do her therapy. The nurse asked if I knew what that bad news was, but I didn't have a clue.

This morning I arrived at 8:30 to find two CNAs in mother's room, with Mother in tears, because she thought that I had been killed. She said it was her daughter, and of course, the CNAs had no idea if there was another daughter besides me or not (there isn't, just my 3 brothers). I walked in and Mother was truly shocked. I figured she had a bad dream.

So this afternoon the social worker and a nurse reviewed her chart and medications, but found nothing that should cause this. We're going to monitor it more. And tomorrow, I'll ask Mother if she remembers the episode.

Really took the wind out of my sails about a slow, peaceful decline.

No history of memory loss before except what might be expected at this advanced age (95). And ideas? She started on Prozac just 8 days ago, but the consensus is that if this is a drug reaction, they should have seen it sooner.

Jim just made me a martini. Good boy, Jim.....

Comments (15)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio