SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisa77429_gw

Hospice - confusing

lisa77429
17 years ago

I understand hospice mainly provides comfort care for the dying. In reading the so-called rule books, it states that it will not provide any services towards the cure of the diagnosed terminal disease. I'm a primary non-related caregiver for a lady and am constantly being asked why she isn't on hospice. Yet, her doctor says he can provide whatever she needs. This lady is 96, has dementia and also has been diagnosed with minor congestive heart failure. She recently suffered from pneumonia possibly due from aspiration - diet/liquids modified. She lives at home with 24 hour care. She still walks but is slowing down and does require more assistance, is very verbal on her likes and dislikes, loves watching old movies, loves going to the stores and out for ice cream, onion rings and drives through the neighborhoods, etc. She still cracks jokes on good days. I do feel she is slowing down, however, she seems to be recoving nicely (at this moment). We aren't totally sure if this recovery will continue though.

So, what would hospice do for her that her girls and doctor can't? I'm familiar with hospice re: cancer death. But for this lady? If she is put on hospice for CHF or dementia, wouldn't that mean that all related meds would be stopped - per the rules?

Can anyone help make sense of this for me? I'm so confused.

Comments (20)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES