Return to the Care Givers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mama loves her bicycle horn!

Posted by heidiho (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 3, 11 at 19:08

My 87 year old Mama moved in with me in March and we needed something loud for her to call me when she needed.
The old time bicycle horn with the black bulb on the end is a wonderful thing for Mama and me.I can go outside or on the other end of the house or even at the neighbor's;
she squeezes the bulb on the horn and I can hear her calling.
I kept looking for something loud enough for her to use and calling my cell phone is difficult for her and she couldn't holler loud enough and one day I was walking around Walmart and this kid was blowing that horn and it was so loud I heard it across the store. That's what she needs I told myself. For $4 my problem was solved.

Since she's had it I've had so much more freedom and don't have to worry about her. She also has the on call button around her neck for ambulance and that gives both of us peace of mind too as I am able to go shopping.

Just thought I'd share this with ya'll.
This is a wonderful forum with so much useful information and great people.

Hope this information is useful to someone.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mama loves her bicycle horn!

Just a personal note about bicycle horns.

I had some serious back surgery and I couldn't turn myself over. I had to be turned at least every two hours, but it was usually more often.

The Husband Guy was worn out from lack of sleep. One afternoon I needed to be turned in the worse way. He didn't answer when I called. So I called my daughter in law who lived across the street. She dialed the house and gave the phone to her little three year old daughter and told her to let it ring until Papa answered. When he finally did, she said "papa, mema wants you in the bedroom." and hung up.

The next day the DIL and her mother came to visit and brought a bicyle horn that had come in handy during another person's illness. It was a wonderful thing!!! He could hear me over the entire house. I didn't know the dratted things were sooooo loud.

So, if you have someone that is confined to bed or a chair......get a bicyle horn. I agree, they are well worth the price.

o

My mother-in-law would sometimes try and get up in the middle of the night (she would not call me), so I started putting a set of the large jingle bells (a large group, like Santa might carry) on her walker at night and put the walker so that she had to reach and pull it toward her before she could use it. I heard it every time, but I do not think it ever woke anyone else.

o

My husband had Alzheimer's and after hearing so much about them getting up and leaving the house I put a cast iron bench in front of our bedroom door and hung a small wind chime under the seat. We had a bathroom in the bedroom so he could go there without leaving the bedroom. After trying it one time he never tried again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Care Givers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here