SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rebeccaalbreit

Grandpa

rebeccaalbreit
17 years ago

Hello,

I am new to the group and am looking for support. My husbands father is 88 years old and still lives alone. He has always been mean and demanding but as he has gotten older he has gotten worse. He rings our phone every 10 minutes throughout the day. He demands unreasonable things and curses at us into the answering machine when we don't pick up. If you ask him to not do that he pretends like he can't hear you or denies he is doing it.

Our whole family is so stressed over him. We don't know what to do. He is still driving, but he hasn't had a drivers license in a couple of years. I think my husband is afraid to take his car keys away or he just doesn't feel like dealing with him. It is causing a lot of fighting between us. I am so afraid he is going to hurt someone or himself. He got a speeding ticket last week and has to go to court next month. This will be a real fiasco.

He keeps calling here and threatening us over nonsense. We try to help him as much as we can tolerate him. I just don't know what to do. I took him to his doctor appointment a couple of months ago and he told the doctor that "he was going to come back down there and choke him to death if he didn't get better". The doctor just ignored him and spoke to me. Maybe he has dementia? I don't know.

Physically he is pretty good. He says he will kill himself before he would ever leave his home.

Any help appreciated. Rebecca Albreit

Comments (11)

Sponsored