SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sharlee_gw

Dad's declining

sharlee
18 years ago

Friends,

Am writing this today as my brother & I make the decision on Dad's placement now that he's not accepting any food.

My DH & I moved him here in Feb to the NW where he wanted to be. First, he chose independent living, now in assisted-living.

This is day 4 that he will not accept food & yet he takes his daily medicine. He's diabetic with end stage renal failure w/o dialysis & has congestive heart failure. He's bleeding internally & here he's still living where he is. He is now staying in bed (3 days). His mind has been very alert when awake & knows what's happening to him.

Dr said last week another move is not good & we could do Hospice. Yes, I do know that. Today my brother thinks the hospital is the best idea & not nursing home.

Dad's directive states as he wrote, if no hope, " Leave me alone". We want to make him comfortable. Brother is talking IV's...would that go against his wishes not wanting life support? This is difficult.

Am so fortunate to have such a loving, DH & being able to be with Dad so often now. He's sleeping most of the time & would like some input on this, if you would.

Thank You, Sharlee

Comments (13)

Sponsored