Return to the Care Givers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
FYI-Spammer Alert/'House key' thread

Posted by dreamgarden (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 6, 14 at 12:32

The thread titled 'House key' is SPAM. Whoever is doing this is inundating many other threads with their trash.

I've notified the moderators and am encouraging others to do the same. Please use the link below to do this:

http://letters.gardenweb.com/letters/nph-ind.cgi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: FYI-Spammer Alert/'House key' thread

Sinking this one, since the elves are busy cleaning up.

o

In this case I think we should contact all the companies that hired the jerk that did this and tell them we will never do business with them. The one I opened was viva media, I went to their link and then scanned my PC. Nothing was found except a couple of tracking cookies.

I don't advise anyone else to open the link unless you know how to clean up a mess if you get into one.

o

"I don't advise anyone else to open the link unless you know how to clean up a mess if you get into one."

Good advice. Do not feed the trolls..

GardenWeb did a good job of cleaning up the spam.

o

Emma, first of all, that was a computer doing all the spamming. There are criminal enterprises behind most all spam. There is rarely any legitimate business.

And two, QUIT CLICKING ON LINKS YOU DON"T KNOW. Install WOT (Web of Trust) and don't open any links that are unknown.

Here is a link that might be useful: WOT

o

I will click on any link I want to. For your information that was a game company and legitimate, but not very nice. I have one of the game CD's they make. It was Viva Media. I have WOT and it didn't give me a warning. Everyone one of those links probably was advertising for legitimate businesses. And I am not saying they should have spammed this forum, it was wrong and people inexperienced with computers should beware of them.

o

"For your information that was a game company and legitimate, but not very nice.

Everyone one of those links probably was advertising for legitimate businesses."

You are correct. They are not very nice.

Smothering as many threads as they did in violation of the site's TOS doesn't make me want to give them my business.

"Businesses Using the Forums

Advertising your business on our forums or on your member page is strictly forbidden. Posting under a pseudonym and then linking to your business.

If you ignore these guidelines, your membership will be immediately terminated and you will no longer be able to post on our forums."

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/trans/business.html

o

What guide lines did I ignore. I did click on the the link to see what it was. I did not click on the inter link, I did not do any business with them.

I don't understand this at all. I just wanted to know who they were. Are you accusing me of advertising a business? It wasn't me doing the advertising. I had the game CD long before they spammed this forum. Kick me out if you want, I asked for my account to be removed a month ago, but it wasn't and here I am again. I have been trying to kick this habit for a long time now. LOL

This post was edited by EmmaR on Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 19:01

o

Hi, Emma - I'm late to the game, here. I don't read that anyone is accusing you of anything, but instead are just warning you of the dangers of clicking on links that are suspicious. So often they contain a virus or are just a "come-on" by cheats. Not always, but it's best to be aware and alert.

Of course you can do anything you want and click on any link that looks interesting to you. I think that others here were just giving you some perhaps unsolicited advice. I would second the warning, but you are your own bright, intelligent, knowledgeable person and you can do what you wish and knowingly be careful.

Suzieque

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Care Givers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here