Return to the Care Givers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
chelone...

Posted by abreeze (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 27, 05 at 10:59

Hi chelone! Where have you been? How is your mother doing??? It's been ages since we've heard from you. You surely are missed! :) I imagine you're enjoying every bit of this wonderful weather and working in your gardens. They are quite lovely. ~breezy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: chelone...

I've been in "Lurk" mode for some time now, breezey.

Mum is fine, but I'm puttin' one foot in front of the other, frankly. Spring/early summer is busy season at work, and the gardens have suffered greatly from close to 3 summers on autopilot. Between work and Mum gardening time is "catch as catch can". Funny how some days I feel great about weeding, other days I am overwhelmed and don't get anything done.

My brother is putting the finishing touches on Mum's room in his house. I will have some respite, it seems. I have to help him line up a home health aid and give him some direction on her "care and feeding", but he is OK with shouldering her care to give me a very much needed break. I'm glad of it.

She tumbled off her bed a little over a month ago, landed on her left hand and broke 2 matacarpals. She wore a removeable splint for a month and now has a clean bill of health and doesn't have to wear the splint any longer. What a relief! She's unhooked herself from the night collection jug urostomy patients must use twice in the past few weeks; the last one saw me scrubbing carpet and the mattress at 1:30 AM to staunch the staining and stench pee delivers. I am afraid her mental faculties are fading, but can't really be certain just yet. It's tough... how much is residual stroke damage and how much is simply the progression of dimentia? Only time will tell.

I DID finish the canopy for the deck on the back of our house. I have to do the screen that will zip on to keep the mosquitos at bay. Mum was indifferent to the idea when I mentioned it a month or so ago. "Well, don't do it for me, I won't sit out there much"... ha ha, who do you think is now very excited about the prospect of a screened "porch"? I've reminded her that she is NOT to go out there...

:) Thanks for asking, I'm OK, just takin' a break. I have caretaker burn-out, hate that I'm so indifferent, but also understand that this sort of thing happens to everyone in our situations.

o

Hi Chelone,

Good to see you posting again! Not sure what type of work you do, but it sounds like it's gardening or outdoor-related, definitely. Since the season is so short here in New England, you've got to "make hay while the sun shines," so to speak.

I'm glad you'll be getting a respite; you need and deserve it.

Take care of yourself.

o

Hi there, stranger!!! Great to hear from you! :) It's so good to hear that your brother is preparing to take Mum soon. You've done a marvelous job with her, chelone. Sorry to hear that she fell, but thankful it didn't result in a more serious injury. Yes, you're definitely exhausted and in need of a break. I pray all goes well as the transition is made... You must be very talented to make the canopy and sew the screen that will zip onto it for your porch. You definitely need that if you're near water. They grow HUGE in Maine! :) Maine is my very favorite place to visit. Keep in touch. ~breezy

o

Hey Chelone.....understandable...very understandable! Glad a break is forthcoming. Derry

o

Your new canopy is nothing short of perfect and gorgeous. You're a genius and I admire you in every way. Hugs!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Care Givers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here