Return to the Care Givers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Alzheimer's Patient's Prayer

Posted by mimi427 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 27, 06 at 22:35

Pray for me, I was once like you.
Be kind and loving to me,
That is how I would have treated you.
Remember I was once someone's parent or spouse, I had a life and a dream for the future.
Speak to me, I can hear you even if I don't understand what you are saying.
Speak to me of things in my past of which I can still relate.
Be considerate of me, my days are such a struggle.
Think of my feelings because I still have them and can feel pain.
Treat me with respect because I would have treaed you that way.
Think of how I was before I got Alzheimer's; I was full of life, I had a life, laughed and loved you.
Think of how I am now, my disease distorts my thinking, my feelings and my ability to resopnd --- but I still love you.
Think about my future, because I used to.
Remember I was full of hope for the future just like you are now.
Think how it would be to have things locked in your mind and cannot let them out.
I need you to understand and not blame me, but Alzheimer's.
I still need the compassion and the touching and most of all I still need you to love me.
Keep me in your prayers because I am between life and death.
The love you give will be a blessing from God and both of us will live forever.
How you live and what you do today will always be remembered in the heart of the Alzheimer's patient.
-- by Carolyn Haynali 3/10/2000

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Alzheimer's Patient's Prayer

Thank you for the many thoughtful reminders. I will print and keep this close at hand as I have a very dear friend who has started showing many small signs of the disease.

Sue

o

"Keep me in your prayers because I am between life and death."

That one line is so powerful to me and so very sadly true.
Thanks for posting, mimi. It's a wonderful reminder to love with gentleness, when my patience draws thin and the helplessness and sadness I feel is just below the surface.

o

Yesterday, I spent the day with my mom, who is now living at my sister's home. My husband and I had some errands to run and we took her along with her wheelchair and all was fine...except... we had made a purchase and some arrangements had to be made for delivery, etc, so I took my mom outside and my husband took care of things. It took him about 45 minutes. No less than 20 times, my mom said "where is he? why is it taking him so long?" and every time, I would calmly answer the same answer, until I finally almost exploded and said "mom...I've answered that 19 times already!" and as soon as it came out of my mouth, I regretted it so. I saw the look of hurt on her face. It's so sad, because even though she has no short term memory, she is still very much in touch with her emotions, and that is one of the reasons it is so hard to deal with. I tried to make up for it by giving her a big hug and she seemed okay. Ten minutes later, we were in the car and she spent the next 40 minutes poking the back of my head and then denying it...this disease can just make you nuts.
Mimi

o

That was BEAUIFUL! I have a stepdaughter whose mother has and even though she is the ex-wife, I pray for her everyday. Thank-you and God bless!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Care Givers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here