SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladybugfruit

Dementia + Sundowning

ladybugfruit
14 years ago

Great thread on dementia and I relate to many of you in dealing with the in's and out's of it. However, ( and please pardon me if I missed it), but I didn't see anyone have additional problems with sundowning. My gramma has been in this place once before a few years ago when she was in a nursing home for rehab. Basically, she gets more agitated as the evening wears on and now she is not sleeping at night more than maybe an hour. She is not sleeping more than a few hours during the day either. I know the drill with sundowning as far as what we as caregivers can do ( lighting, music etc) and nothing is working. She was recently put on ambien to help her sleep...nothing. Trazadone was next up to 100mg and still it is getting worse. She was put on Seraquel a few years ago with success but at the time, physicians were not fully aware of the dangers that went with it with the elderly with dementia. It now has a black box warning in regards to that. Of course I will be speaking with the doc again tomorrow, but was wondering if anyone else out that has dealt with this and if so, what worked for you? We have also tried mealtonin as many eldery lose the ability to produce their own as they age. That didn't touch her either.

HELP! She is on hospice so we are not doing super aggressive, but as the same time, we need to get her some sleep. It's such a vicious cycle since the not getting enough sleep is making the dementia worse.

Thanks all.

LBF

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living