Return to the Care Givers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sometimes there is a Ray of Sunshine

Posted by agnespuffin (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 29, 06 at 21:27

My husband plays golf twice a week with a group of older men. They have to be at least 55 to join. At the present time, the oldest is 93 and still playing regularly. Needless to say that for some, it is the highlight of the week.

As you can imagine, in that age group, there are a lot that get too ill to play. To my knowledge, none have died on the course, but a couple have passed away in the parking lot afterwards. It's almost as if they had decided to finish life doing something that they enjoyed.

Recently, one of the members was so near the end that he was at our local Hospice. Somehow, he managed to get someone to come get him and take him to the golf course so he could see it one more time. He got to see all his old friends, listened to the usual corny dumb jokes and rode around in a golf cart as they played. (he didn't play of course) Then he was taken back to the Hospice where he died a few days later.

I think that all the men were happy to have been able to say goodbye to him in a way that he enjoyed.
Aileen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sometimes there is a Ray of Sunshine

My dad played golf on a Wednesday at a little 9 hole 'executive' course, and shot par; he was 6 weeks shy of his 94th birthday. He was always at about a 5 or 6 handicap over his long years of playing golf, about 80 years.

That Thursday AM he woke and told Mother that he didn't feel well, and she took him to the hospital where he passed away 24 hours later of an aortal aneurism. He led a good life up until the end.

Aileen, we had the reception after his service at the golf course, and we had a full house of his friends there, probably 100 people. And a golf-course theme cake! Dad would have loved it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Care Givers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here