SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bigshoes213

Financial aid for parent w/o job and has been in hospital

bigshoes213
14 years ago

My father has been a severe alcoholic for almost 30 years. I have tried to have as little as possible to do with him in the past because he is hurtful, mean, a liar, rarely sober, and etc... It was just to overwhelming to remain in contact with him.

Almost a month ago he tried to commit suicide. He shot himself in the stomach. Punctured his diaphram, damaged part of his liver and lung. He is healing and has not started drinking yet. He says he never wants to drink again. He acts like a completely different person. He is kind, polite, and thankful. He is currently living with me and my husband.

He has not been able to maintain a job over the last few years as far as I know. He did get some work with a truck driving company but was laid off a few months back.

Dad says about 4 months ago he applied for unemployment but was denied because he has not worked enough this past year (?) I am going to apply again for him tomorrow.

He is 49 years old and is not disabled. He does have depression and high blood pressure.

He spent 2 weeks in ICU and then 1 week on the psych ward and was released to us. He has been here little under a week.

My husband and I do not have any extra money to support him. My husband has to have a double lung transplant due to Sarcoid. He goes on the waiting list in July. My dad is planning on getting a job and moving out as soon as he is able to.

My question is what programs are there for him? He does not seem to qualify for state assistance because a) he is not female and pregnant b) over 65 and c) disabled.

He does not have insurance or anytype of income.

Right now all dad is costing us is medicine which is not very expensive (all generics) and food. This we can handle right now. I am just worried about the hospital bills and getting him back on track. I don't want him to have a relapse and start drinking again or decide suicide is an option. He is on depression medicine.

Thanks for letting me vent. There is just a lot on my plate with both my dad and husband being sick under the same roof at the same time.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living