SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greekshambo

Need Help! 90 year old mom's arthritis getting me down!

shambo
18 years ago

My mom has pretty severe arthritis, especially in her knees. That, along with a loss of cartilage in her knees leaves her in pain. Her doctors have given her prescription & non-prescription pain killers -- Naproxen, Celebrex, Vicodin, Darvocet, Bextra, Tylenol, Ibuprofen -- you name it, she's had it! Each time she's stopped taking the pain killers after reading the lists of possible side effects. Then she compalins because nothing works. In the meantime, she has sent for every cream or supplement known to man, looking for a miracle cure. Needless to say, those don't work either. In a few weeks she'll start injections of Synvisc into her knees. Perhaps that will afford her some relief.

But in the meantime, do any of you have any ideas? A few weeks ago I had her start taking Advil. The Tylenol wasn't relieving her pain, nor was it doing anything for the inflammation. She said the Advil gave her some relief. Last week when I told her doctor about it, he gave her a prescription for Ibuprofen. Dosage was the same as the Advil, just less pills to take. Well, wouldn't you know it, she now complains that the Ibuprofen doesn't work as well as Advil. I've explained & explained that they are exactly the same, but it doesn't do any good.

Are there any alternatives I haven't considered? I'd appreciate your help. I'm getting pretty discouraged.

Thanks!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County