SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
goldenbuckeye

S-o-o glad I found this site

goldenbuckeye
18 years ago

I really need this so here goes to all you good people who understand.

I've been caring for my Mom for 2 1/2 years and I'm so thankful that I can but as you all know it can be real trying sometimes.

Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if she wasn't retarded. She's lived all her life in the backwoods of Alabama and people ignored her retardation. She tells me she's my Mom and she's suppose to tell me what do do. She doesn't even know the difference between a commercial and the TV program but she wants to watch certain programs. The worst part is she's controling and manipulative. She had a toe taken off over 25 years ago due to diabetese and took to a walker and a chair and stayed that way all these years. She sat in that chair and gave Daddy orders and has tried to do that with me but it doesn't work. I tell her to get her own water ect. because she needs the exercise and she really does.

She was taking 45 units of insulin a day, was severly constipated all the time and was suppose to take 6 water pills a day which she didn't when she came to stay with us. What with eating right and getting some exercise by waiting on herself in a month she was having normal bowel movements and after about 2 months she hasn't had to take anything for her sugar since. She's lost 50 to 55 pounds since she's been here but has more variety and better food than she ever thought of having. At home her legs were severly swollen and almost black. Now she's down to one water pill a day and her legs have their normal coloring again and very little swelling.

She's had several falls in the last year and to be honest I'm not sure it wasn't on purpose because she doesn't want to do for herself, she wants someone to do for her. After the last fall my husband told her if she got to where she couldn't walk she would have to go into a nursing home because I'm not able to take care of her like that anymore (I have a bad back) there hasn't been anymore. Of course I'll take care of her as long as I can but even after losing all that weight she still weighs 180 pounds. Sometimes I can barely get myself up much less pick her up.

Since the falls I'm afraid to leave her alone for more than an hour while she's in bed.

She wants to stay on the phone all the time and can't understand why she can't. I can check her calls because they''re all long distance (which isn't a problem because we have a flat rate) and one day she made 20 calls. A man tried to call my husband for a week before he finally got him. I told her this had to stop because we can't get any calls not even important calls! I have to be firm with her like a small child! She ask the same questions most of the time like how's your dog or cat and how's the weather ect. ect.

I could go on and on but I've bent ya'lls hear long enough for now.

Need a break!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio