SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
falldowngobump

depression

falldowngobump
14 years ago

My 86 year old MIL has been living with us for almost 2 years now. She has mild to moderate dementia and is unable to manage most everything. Reasoning skills, memory, judgment is what it is at this point and I have quit my job to stay with her full time. I'm holding my own with this and some days have to struggle to see the bright side of the situation (honestly). We seem to be dealing with something new. She has been experiencing spells of intense and extreme sadness and hopelessness. She acts like she hurts but is unable to describe where the "pain"is. Nothing hurts but everything hurts. She becomes weepy and cries for hours on end and can't tell me why or what the problem is. She is just "sad" or she has the "blues". She at times becomes very withdrawn and sleeps for hours on end, but is exhausted. You can imagine what this does to her blood sugar and what little memory and judgment ability seem to deminish. She gets her nights and days mixed up. This is really affecting her health (her doctor says she does remarkably well for her age health wise) The last bout with this lasted about 10 to 14 days. I have an appointment to discuss this with her Dr. next week. I think she is suffering from depression.

Has anyone else delt with this and can you give me any advice? It's so hard to watch her suffer with this. She has always been so pleasant and positive.

Comments (6)

Sponsored