SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bettyd_z7_va

New Caregiver-Need Financial Advise

bettyd_z7_va
14 years ago

We are moving DH's aunt in with us. She has no children and nobody else in the family will step in to help.

After DH's almost 18 year old son has lived with her for 3 years, she is in very bad financial straits. DH was severely injured at work last year and we were in and out of the hospital most of the last year and step son took advantage of the situation to clean her out financially. We have gone to the bank and gotten on her checking account so we can pay the bills. I have been to the Dr with her and he is aware that she is coming to us and needs assistance.

I don't know exactly how to go about legally getting the ability to handle her finances and not get into the position of being responsible for her financially(out of our $$$).

We DO NOT have the ability to care for her financially. She is 76 years old, has a house that she has borrowed against with a 30 year mortgage and we aren't sure at this point what else she owes. I know she bought step son a truck and is making payments. It is in her name.

Neither she, nor us have the money for an attorney right now.

Has anyone here been through this and can you give me a checklist or suggestions on how to go about the steps to being able to handle her finances to take care of her and not get ourselves in a financial mess. I'm not sure what to do or where to start.

She has a government retirement check from 36 years of working in a mental healthcare home as well as a social security check each month.

She has been put on memory meds, but I'm not sure if the Dr has actually given a dementia ot altzheimers diagnosis. she is begging us to take care of her bills. She thinks her CVS (meds) bill that comes in the mail every month is some kind of game that costs her to play and she wants to get out of the game. She asked the DR yesterday to get "them" to quit sending her that stuff in the mail. Step son has taken her for a ride financially and is expecting her to give him her house. We hope to be able to sell it so she can get out from under that financial burden. At the bank we couldn't get her to understand that she just refinanced it 2 years ago with that 30 yr mortgage. She thinks she only has a few more months to pay on it. HELP!! I'm lost at this point.

Any and all help will be ETERNALLY appreciated.

Betty

Comments (17)

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA