SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosealee_gw

Parkinson and behavioral issues (long-sorry)

rosealee
16 years ago

Hello-

I am a part time caretaker for a 78 year old male parkinson patient. He also has a fair case of dementia. He does not get on my nerves with his constant forgetfulness or telling the same story over and over. The other lady I work with is getting a little more weary, I think, maybe.

Problem is this other caretaker that he is with during 4 days and nites of the week(I work 3 days and nites) calls me constantly about his behavioral problems that she is having with him. For instance, picking up unseen things on the carpet, talking to his deceased wife and turning the t.v. on and off, wanting to change his clothing many times daily, yelling at her, and other behaviors as well. I have seen slight picking at his pillow when I put him to bed at nite, but it stops. When he gets anxious I either try to distract him or sit by him and stroke his hand or massage his back. I also will take him on a ride in the car which he likes. He is on medication for parkinson as well as xanax, paxil and seroquil, low doses of each. I personally have never had to give him a seroquil but the other caretaker has had to give him the seroquil alot.

When she calls and tells me of these behaviors I suggest some of the things above and she dismisses them and tells me that she has been with him alot longer than I have and I am not with him as much as she. Also, she is a retired RN, and more qualified than I. (she retired at 52) I am only a LPN.(This is a second career for me and I have only had my LPN lic. for 5 years) (she is with him 4 days and nites and I am with him 3)

I do not understand what is going on. He does FINE when I am with him except for maybe asking over and over what day it is or something like that. I just tell him and he is o.k.

Why is he acting like that with her? I have just had to do 2 weeks back to back because she could not cope with his behaviors. Everything went fine during those 2 weeks, we went to see his sister, I took him to get a massage, out to eat, and over to his brothers house, so you know if he had had those behaviors she is describing I could not have done all our activities. What in the heck is going on with him and her? I have been told, by his son, he was hard to get along with before she and I came as caretakers. I am wondering when I am going to get the same treatment as her. I care for him very much, and am committed to the quality of his life. By the way, parkinson is in the early/mid stages.

He is really sweet, and I just love him. I have been his caretaker for about a year now, and she has been with him for over two. I am at a quandry.. Any ideas? This has just recently started happening in the last 2 months. I just got a call yesterday and I have got to do another week, as she feels she cannot cope AGAIN. Any ideas out there? I called his Dr. and his psych. Dr. today for an appointment tomorrow so when I relieve her I can help him find out what is going on. Has anyone else (that is a caretaker) or has anyone out there heard of these kind of behaviors in an older person?? Thanks.

Comments (8)

Sponsored