SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funkill

more about *our* situation

funkill
16 years ago

I have spent the past several weeks visiting Assisted Living Facilities for my mother. I toured 10 places - that ranged from small home-style environments that cared for those that were quite diminished to large communities that care for those who are fairly independent and active. One thing I found similiar in each was the compassionate staff. I found the experience suprsingly pleasant... Though helping my mother has been difficult, I am continually amazed at the positive and helpful people I have met. Thankfully, something is positive ....

Again, my mother was recently diagnosed with dementia --- specifically, alcohol persistent dementia. She was absent throughout my life and we have never been close. My father left the marriage about 20 yrs ago. She has struggled with addictions since I was a toddler and today has no recollection of any wrong-doing (not that she ever admitted it earlier either). I have lots of animosity (sp?) and resentment - but, somehow, it seems to be less obvious now .... maybe I'm finally putting that behind me??? Anyway, petitioning for guardianship of her and putting forth such effort to plan for her future was not in my plans - and I only started this venture after realizing that, if I did not, she would be in a very, very difficult situation. I found that after I put a plan in place and started taking some action, the venture did not seem to be as great or as difficult. As I progress in this, I'm finding the guidance of others to be very helpful and encouraging.

I finally decided on a memory care center ALF for my mother. It's a medium sized facility (55 in each of two sister facilities) that offers several options for *apartments* that includes a bedroom, kitchenette (micro and small fridge) and bathroom. They also provide 3 GOOD meals a day, laundry, medication management, off-site shopping and lunches, travel to doctors, and a good bit of entertainment. Best of all, they will allow small pets! I placed a $2000 deposit for my mom to be placed on their waiting list.

Unfortunately, their nurse assessed my mom at home and believes my mother should actually be placed in their alzeimers facility because she is concerned that my mom will try to leave their standard ALF. ???? I have never been concerned about this ... but the nurse thought that since my mother does not recognize her degree of need (dementia, diabetes, hypertension, depression, etc), that she will not want to stay in their ALF. Again, I am very confused about this. So, I requested a second review. Saturday I took my mom to their facility for lunch. Mom was a bit "horrified" at being taken to an Old Folks Home (mom is just 66 yrs old), but I explained that her moving was part of the court order. After that, she was quite agreeable. We toured the place after lunch and the original nurse assessor (or whatever you call her) spoke as if they might have an open room soon. So, I'm assuming this review went well. I will call tomorrow to see if I have the right understanding.....

Again, I am pleasantly surprised at the wealth of information I have found and the degree of help I am given. Every individual I have met seems genuinely interested and offers suggestions and advice. My mother is diminished enough that it seems her nasty, critical, belitting attitude is also diminished!!! I am feeling more sorry for her future than about our past. I hope most of you also have time to reflect on this circle of life and find some comfort, somehow .....

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996