SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gwranchman

What to do with a very angry abusive senior parent?

gwranchman
16 years ago

What is one to do when you have a parent that is abusive, doesn't cooperate, and has burned all of her bridges?

My mom is in her late 70's. Not fluent in English, never has been (immigrated from other country, originally), had 4 children, suffers Depression, possibly Bi-polar? Will agree to something, then 2 days later, explodes into rages of anger, name calling, finger pointing. I call this a 'delayed reaction' to what a normal person would react to immediately, rather than days later. I am sure there is a psychological term for this. Her screaming and wailing can be so bad that we have told her that if she explodes like this in public over something she does not agree to (in a business sense, lets assume), she could be hauled away. We have told her that with all of the shootings and eruptions of anger that occur in places of employment, etc, that it would not be tolerable. She got upset over something at the bank and was ready to explode and the teller told her if she did they would call the police to take her away.

I think there is something wrong with her psychologically. Out of the 4 children, me being the oldest, the youngest is disabled and resides in a home. Because my brother now requires more care, he is being moved 1 hour away to a home that will suit his needs. My mother originally accepted this idea, but is now is very angry that we are taking her youngest from her, that he is her son, and doesn't understand that regardless of his condition, she should have legal conservatorship in place. She refuses and says no one can tell her that that is necessary. She called the Agency to complain that it was my fault that my brother is moving further away, and they replied to her that she didn't have conservatorship over him and it is in my brother's best interest to be where he is going.

I have a married daughter a mile away from my brother's new home, but my mother has burned her bridges and my daughter will not allow her in her home. I am the only sibling living in town. I visit her, but also don't allow her in my home. I offered to make sure she gets there to visit him but doesn't want me to help her. She doesn't drive, throws tantrums, her own sisters also will not help her, and want nothing to do with her.

At some point it appears we will have to consider conservatorship over her as well, because she has made no estate plans and doesn't plan on doing so.

What could be wrong with her? People like her end up all alone in nursing homes with no family to visit them because they have been so difficult all of their lives. We have done everything to be helpful, polite, you name it, and she finds fault with everything.

I have a neighbor just like her and his family is estranged from him because of how he has been all of his life. He reminds me strongly of my mother.

I need some peace of mind. Any ideas!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor