SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fairegold

This one turned my day upside down

fairegold
18 years ago

We went to Mother's for the Mother's Day buffet brunch today. I had flowers and a card, and my son had sent a card for Mother with baby pictures. My husband and I came into Mother's apartment, and she was pretty chipper. We used the wheelchair to get her down to the dining room, saw a lot of other nice people that I enjoy, had a nice lunch. When we were leaving her apt, I told her that I'd be there tomorrow for the LifeLine installation. and I'd have more info about the physical therapy. All's well.

My brother had called me earlier, and I told him to call Mother. He said, "Yes, Mother" in a sarcastic way, and that I've always bossed him around. I told him that the joke is getting pretty old. He said, don't bug me, Mother and I have a very special close relationship. I told him that if he is so f***** close to Mother, then he'd know how much she needs him right now. And I hung up on him. This is the single 53 yr old man who lives 500 miles away.

A little while after I got home, Mother called. She cried that she doesn't want me to do any of these things, she just wants to die, why can't she die right now. She said she can't say it when my husband is there, because it might upset him, and if she can't talk to me, who can she talk to? She doesn't want the assisted living, the LifeLine, the PT, the wheelchair, she just wants to be left alone to die.

I could feel all the air go out of me right then. Depression is contagious. The joy of my day was just sucked right out.

Tomorrow, I'm talking to the supervisor of assisted living, and I'll get info on a social worker.

Thanks for letting me cry on your collective shoulders. Otherwise, my Mother's Day was very nice. Hope your Mother's Day was lovely.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County