Return to the Care Givers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Medicare RX

Posted by happy_go_lucky_gayle (My Page) on
Thu, May 29, 08 at 19:44

My Mother is in a Nursing Home under Medicaid. She is only allowed $60.000 a month. But, she doesn't qualify for Medicaid RX. She has Schdule D Medicare, but I have to pay $450.oo per month of what her Medicare doesn't pay. I can't afford to do this.

How in the world do people pay for their Prescriptions? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Gayle

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Medicare RX

Suggest first stop should be admin. of the nursing home she's at. They see this all the time. Suspect they may be very helpful. They like to get paid, too.

IMHO medicare part D is a cruel joke for many, many people. One of the more ridiculously structured bills passed in our generation.

o

Get someone to evaluate her prescriptions. It could be that some of them have a generic alternative that would do just as well.

o

How is it that you have become responsible for paying your Mother's RX out of your pocket? Did you inadvertantly sign something indicating you were the "responsible party"?

o

There is also a good chance that some of those medications are no longer needed. I am thinking especially of a brother-in-law that during those final weeks before his death was still being given medicines to help his acid reflux, lower his cholesterol, thin his blood so his pace maker would work better and he wouldn't have a stroke. The family had to find a way to get about ten pills down him several times a day.

Maybe something of the same is going on with your mother. Once a patient is on certain medications, quite often, the doctor simply fails to order it to be discontinued, even though it's no longer appropriate. That's not to say that she is in a terminal condition, but that her needs may have changed. Talk to her doctor. Explain the situation to him.

I also wondered why you are responsible for paying for her drugs. I know that things vary from state to state, but that's a lot of money for a family member to have to pay.

o

How is it that you have become responsible for paying your Mother's RX out of your pocket? Did you inadvertantly sign something indicating you were the "responsible party"?

If I didn't pay for the prescriptions my Mother wouldn't get the Meds she needs.

I've talked to Medicare/Medicaid, the Admin., and I have a call into the Doctor. Of course it is Friday and He is probably gone for the weekend.

o

You are NOT the responsible party honey and even on Medicaid they WILL get the meds. Someone is leading you down the garden path on this one. My brother is on Medicaid, has Parkinson's and his meds are very expensive, but all is covered because he has no money.

You are not responsible for her meds, get thee to an attorney if need be to get this all straightened out!

o

I don't think you pay anything if she is on medicaid. We did a division of assets and when his half was gone I wasn't responsible for anything after that.

o

You don't understand. My Mother gets a Rail Road Retirement which goes to the nursing home and Medicaid pays the rest to the NH. But, she doesn't qualify for Medicaid RX, because of her retirement check. Retired Teachers, Railroad and Federal Employee Retirements for (some reason) don't qualify for Medicaid RX.

Gayle

o

My brother was a Police Officer, did not pay in to SS, he got medicaid and his RX's are covered. Here is a link for the Dept. of Aging in your state. Maybe it will help. Make some phone calls, this is not your responsibility. If you were not around she would still get her meds! There is help available, you just have to get on the phone and start asking questions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Texas Dept. of Aging

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Care Givers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here