SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greekshambo

Mom's bowel problems... again! What to do?

shambo
17 years ago

Last August I wrote about dealing with my mother's constipation problems. Two days ago she told me that, once again, she "thinks" she hasn't had a bowel movement for about two weeks. My mother is 91 year old and lives in an assisted living facility. It's becoming harder & harder to get any sort of concrete information from her, so I never really know what to believe. And she told me that she's been lying to the aides when they ask her about her regularity.

Last year taking care of her impacted bowlels was a two day process: The first day included a doctor appoinment & exam, followed by an x-ray. The next day included a trip to the hospital ER for another x-ray, a Fleet enema, manual extraction, & a gallon of that special stuff given to patients before colonoscopy.

Since August she has been taking the following: Four 50 mg Colace daily; four Metamucil capsules daily; one Ducolax laxative Tuesday & Thursday; Two tablespoons Milk of Magnesia Monday & Friday. She drinks about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of fluid at each meal. In between meals she takes in just enough water to get her medications down. I've tried all kinds of things to get her to drink more fluids, but nothing seems to work.

I'm frustrated and don't know what to do. I see her regularly and don't understand why she waited until a Saturday night to tell me. I've been sick myself this weekend and can't do anything to help her. She doesn't want me to tell the staff at her assited living facility what's going on. I really don't want to do the ER thing again. The staff there was upset that my mother's doctor didn't have his staff perform the manual extraction. Plus I'm not physically up for a two day adventure this coming week.

Any advice?

Comments (10)

Sponsored