SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
regine_gw

Feeling Guilty

regine_Z 10 Fl gw
14 years ago

My mother who is 97, sold her condo in the midwest last November and moved out to live with my sister who is out west. I am in the opposite end of the country in the southeast. My sister has a small ranch with a few horses, donkeys, dogs, and cats and my mother hates it out there. She feels isolated from people, hates the animals and the smells that come from having those kind of animals and is driving my sister nuts by expecting to be entertained all the time.Even though they take her out to eat and shop,she makes my sister and brother-in-law feel guilty when they take off by themselves.My sister says she can't even go horseback riding without Mom complaining! Mom wants to go back to where she came from, so we are going to move her back to the midwest to an assisted living facility which I found. I'm feeling guilty because I don't know how many of her old friends will come and visit, I won't be able to drop in and check up on her and feel like I'm dumping her off.It's the people I hope will come to visit that are telling me to bring her near me. She said she doesn't want to live near me because she won't know anybody here and besides that she doesn't want to intrude on my life ( she was okay on intruding on my sister's) My sister says that she has become a very high maintenance, emotionally draining,negative person who can't be pleased. I have a husband who had a stroke 5 years ago. Even though he is able to drive and gets around very well, his personality changed so he is not easy to live with either. There have been many days where I wished the day wouldn't start. Between my husband and my mother I am in "turmoil", wanting to do the right thing,yet not wanting to deal with both of them.My question is,how do I take her back home to the midwest without feeling like I'm dumping her off for other people to take care of? For a 97 year old woman, she is very alert, agile and is able to take care of herself.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals