Return to the Care Givers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Roaches in nursing home

Posted by goldy (My Page) on
Fri, May 14, 10 at 15:28

I went to visit my friend in a nursing home and a big cock roach came down the wall.What should I do?Call management or call the board of health?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Roaches in nursing home

Depends on where you live. Certain areas are full of creepy things and some places do the best they can. I am thinking of FL, LA, etc where there is high humidity. Also their may be food dropped and not cleaned up. I would talk to the manager first.

o

Single bug does not qualify for board of health call. Talk to manager if you want.

o

I agree a single bug is not unusual even when they spray. I once saw a roach in my favorite restaurant, one that I knew was the cleanest in town. The waitress said they treat the restaurant every Monday so Tuesday you may see one running for for cover.

o

I could have come from a bag given by family to one of the residents. If it came one lunch truck, that's a different story. Check their bathrooms out.

o
RE: Roaches in nursing

I'm sorry, here's the correct spelling.

It could have come from a bag given by family to one of the residents. If it came on the lunch truck, that's a different story.

o

I went to see my friend the other day and it was very depressing.I said I would never go back.I will go back and check the restrooms.If I find them dirty than what?I think my friends put their sister in that hole is to save money.

o

In all the checking I did for nursing homes for my husband all of them that accepted medicaid were priced about the same. Not accepting medicaid gives them the leeway to charge more.

o

My friend is quite well off.she is not on Medicaid .I feel she should be in a better place until her money runs out and than she should start looking for cheaper digs

o

There are standards that must be kept. The records of welfare checks for safety, cleanliness etc, should be available and usually in a wall box so they can be inspected. It will give the dates of the inspections and what was done to make changes to make it more acceptable. I believe this is true for all nursing homes, if they take governemnt programs or not. In any event, I would speak to some one in charge, if you note problems.

o

check with the BBB and the County DA's office to see what, if any, complaints have been filed and see how they were settled. Are they buying off complaints? Adult Protective Services can mail you a listing of the standards and people to contact. The local Ombudsman should be a great source of advice. and ALL of them have to provide you with the contact info of the next step up the chain if you are not happy with their answers.

o

I once saw a roach run out of a box I had brought down from the attic. Freaked me out-stomped it dead and never saw another. How did he get there?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Care Givers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here