Return to the Care Givers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mother's Day

Posted by Mimi427 (My Page) on
Sat, May 7, 05 at 11:44

I woke up today thinking tomorrow is Mother's Day; this may be the last Mother's Day that my mom will know who I am. I realize that many of you know that feeling -- you are living it right now, and even though I've been reading your posts for the past few months, it really didn't hit me until today.
It's very difficult to lose a parent,and I know that feeling. My dad died when I was only 13, but that was final, he was gone. Now, looking at mom and seeing her confusionand the lost look in her eyes, hearing her questions daily, hourly and sometimes minute by minute just reinforces the inevitable...she is slowly leaving me and going into her own world, a world where I can't be with her...I am just so, so sad today...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mother's Day

I understand. This will be my first Mother's Day without my mom, as she passed away in September. Last Mother's Day, she was in the nursing home and she did not want to go out for dinner. We visited in the large livingroom, with every other resident's family there (or so it seemed). One little old lady screamed at everyone repeatedly. It was awful. I inherently knew it would be my last Mother's Day with her.

I can't say anything to make you feel better, only that I know what you are going through.

I think tomorrow I am just going to hibernate. It's been so difficult seeing all the ads for Mother's Day. I was shopping today and a saleswoman asked me, "Do you need any Mother's Day gifts?" It's still a shock sometimes to realize that my mother isn't here anymore.

o

It is strange....I can remember so many Mothers Days with my mother, and the things we did. But I cannot remember our last one together. She died 2 years ago in April. I think the sadness just stays with you. I took tomorrow off from work...just cannot predict how I will feel. I do hope the day goes well for you and your Mom, Mimi. It is a tough time. Derry

o

Oh, Mimi, you were so young to lose your dad. It had to be difficult for your mother, too... I took care of my parents, but neither had Alz. That has to be an especially traumatic "journey" (as Nora describes it) for you and your precious mother. I really can't imagine the heartache you must be experiencing, but I well remember the pain of helplessly watching my parents slowly decline... As caregivers, we do and give all we can for our loved ones, but the decline continues.

Derry and each one whose mother is failing or has passed on - May God hold each one of you close in His arms of love, and may His comforting presence minister peace to you. I could not make it if it weren't for His faithfulness in my life. May He bless you and your loved ones. ~breezy

o

It was very difficult for my mom, as well as for me and my sisters; mom was 42 at the time my dad died. My dad was 10 years older than she; both were holocaust survivors. He died of a heart attack but the Dr.s felt it was due to what he went through during the holocaust -- he survived Auschwitz. He's been gone 41 years and I still miss him. I feel cheated, not having him there for so much of our lives, especially for him to see all his grandchildren and great-grandchildren.
My mom was not in Auschwitz, but was in ten slave labor camps. She built railroad tracks and survived on eating dirt and potato peels that they stole from garbage cans. Fortunately, she knew how to crochet and knit and at times worked for the Commandant of the labor camp making things for his family. During these times, she was able to spend some time in the Commandant's barracks and he even gave her real food...God only knows what she had to do besides knit and crochet to earn that food. And now.... she has Alzheimer's...I cannot tell you the pain I have in my heart for her; it just doesn't seem right to have suffered as she did and fought to survive only to end up like this.
Thanks so much for your kind words and thoughts...I will try to make tomorrow a very happy and memorable day for mom and me; at least I'll be able to remember it and know that she enjoyed the day. My prayers and thoughts are with you all tonight...take good care, Mimi

o

How tragic, Mimi... Your family has been through incredible anguish and pain. I can't imagine the suffering your parents endured. You are a wonderful daughter and show your precious mother how much you love her. I'm sure she loves and appreciates you and your sisters as dearly as you do her. However, since she lives with you, you are the one she clings to and trusts to take care of her. It's a heavy burden... I was in that position with my mother. May God encourage and strengthen you and give you a good night's rest. May you and your mother have a blessed day tomorrow. ~breezy

o

Bless you all...I know how hard it must be for all of you...Mimi, my heart breaks for your Mom. I can't imagine what she must have gone through. My Mom has been gone for 5 years now, and I miss her everyday. Her funeral was the day after Mother's Day...but I was blessed to have her for my Mother and I am a very grateful daughter...more grateful, I think, as the years pass...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Care Givers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here