Return to the Care Givers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Scheduling meds

Posted by Mimi427 (My Page) on
Wed, May 4, 05 at 11:14

My mom, who has Alzheimer's sleeps about 14 hrs a night. She goes to bed at 9p and gets up around 11a, takes about an hour in the bathroom to get ready and then has breakfast and takes her "morning" meds around 12:15. She then takes her evening meds between 7 - 8p. My mom's caretaker during the day has been trying to convince me to get my mom up earlier because she is concerned that mom is taking her meds too late in the day. (her meds include two memory pills, blood pressure, thyroid and some vitamins) I understand her concern, but, when I've tried to get my mom up earlier, it only ends up in an argument with her becoming very upset and I don't see the point in that. Does anyone have any information on the importance of morning meds being taken in early morning? At mom's last Dr visit, I mentioned this and he didn't seem to be concerned...I just thought I'd throw this out to you and see if anyone has any thoughts on this subject...thanks, Mimi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Scheduling meds

Hi Mimi, i guess i'm really lucky with the staff at the pharmacy that i go to. i was told that al should take his blood pressure pills early in the morning because between 10 am and 2 pm that is when your blood pressure is the highest. his insulin which is called rapid-nova (during the day) and you have to eat within 15 minutes of giving it. the night insulin is slow acting and i give him that at 11 pm. the cholesterol,CHF pill, and 2 other heart pills are right after breakfast, his kidney pills at noon, and stomach pills are 20 minutes before you eat. for me the paxil is the first thing i do and take even before my trip to the bathroom! we did have to juggle some of his meds around, with help from the pharmacy because they were making him sick. debbie

o
RE: Scheduling meds

I wouldn't worry about it. The main thing is to be consistant. If you start getting her up earlier to take them, then it would have to be about the same time everyday. At her age and in her condition, keeping her stress free is as important as anything for keeping her BP under control. A good idea would be to give her medicines as soon as she gets up if you can. And the evening stuff just before bedtime. That would make it about 10 hours apart. don't fret about it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Care Givers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here