SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lizdc_gw

Mom with MS and no retirement saved plus cheap brother

lizdc
15 years ago

I need some advice. I am a single parent with a very demanding job at a nonprofit (ie I barely make enough to get by). My brother on the other hand is a doctor with no dependants (meaning he works hard but has plenty of income).

Our Mother has MS and our dad is a but off. My mom is 65 and has MS. She is still working as a teacher but most of her life she was not a teacher so she has only accrued 5 years of a pension. It is getting bad and really hard for her to work.

Yesterday I had a conversation with my brother that we need to start thinking about what happens wen she can't work.

I was shocked. He said when I am certainly not helping . She should have thought about this before and been prepared. He even said why should I do anything? I said because she is your mother. He said so what. My mom had been telling me that she thought he wasn't going to help. I hadn't believed her. I mean who if they had the money to help wouldn't help their sick old mom.

So I am done with my brother. There is no point and considering someone family that would let their own mother out on the street just so they have more vacations. But now I have to figure out how the heck I am going to take care of her. My house is a two story so when she can't work she will not be able to live inside since bathroom and bedrooms are upstairs.

I have a small lot that at one time had a garage but doesn't. I was thinking about having a very small cottage built (think katrina cottage) where the garage was. Has anyone done this? What advise do have? What permits do I need?

Comments (13)

Sponsored