Return to the Care Givers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hospice

Posted by xminion (My Page) on
Wed, May 7, 14 at 9:59

My dear friend is in hospice, dying. She's in another state, and I hope to make the drive to see her before she passes.

When I call her hospice nurse, she just tells me to "ask the family." Well, my friend has very little family, certainly nobody who lives close by. While I have spoken to some o f the family in the past, I don't have their phone number. They all are in different states.

At the very least, I want to be notified when my friend passes. I understand HIPPA rules and such, but, how can I get past the gate-keeping hospice nurse? Can't friends be involved in end-of-life care too? Especially for people who have little family involvement?

Anybody dealt with a similar situation?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hospice

The patient has to request that the friend be allowed access to information. The nurse is doing a good job. Ask the nurse to please pass along your name and phone number to the patient's family... there must be someone involved... and ask that they call you.

Unless you go in person, that's the best you can do.

o

What sushipup said.

The nurse and/or facility don't know you. They have to follow the rules....and that's as it should be. You'll have to get patient's or POA-holder's OK.

o

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. I'm sure it makes you very sad. If you wish to visit your friend before he/she dies go NOW! Do not wait.

Otherwise, I agree with all that's already been said.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Care Givers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here