SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
glitter53_gw

Update on Mom etc

Glitter53
18 years ago

It's been a while since I checked in for my usual infusion of support...;-)....but if I thought I was busy with Mom here, it's nothing compared to driving to the nursing home a half hour away almost every day! Sheesh! But for now, it's necessary.

I mentioned that she wasn't doing well right now, and I'm beside myself with guilt for having placed her, even tho' I know, intellectually, that it's the best place for her under these circumstances. Where else can we have a doctor on call who comes to our bedside?! When Mom went in, she was her usual huggy, kissy self: everyone she met was her new best friend. Everyone was 'sweetie', 'honey' and they loved her back. However, like Fairegold's Mom, she's not the type to just sit there, when she can attempt to get up and fall down. You'd think they'd learn, wouldn't you? Last week she tried to get out of bed at night without calling for assistance (why would she want to bother them?) and fell onto the floor. She complained about pain in her right rib-cage, and they checked her over, and gave her some Tylenol for pain, and called the dr. in the morning. He saw her late that morning and thankfully, nothing broken, just bruised. Which is still painful. I visited the poor gal that day and it was so hard to help her eat, as she coughs from time to time, grabbing her ribs and tearing up. She felt much better the next day. However, after dinner in their dining-room, she decided to pick up a dropped napkin, leaned forward in her wheelchair and slid ungracefully to the floor. Another phone call: your Mom fell again. NOW you may be understanding why I had to keep an eye on her 24/7! If I ever went downstairs to the basement to toss in a load of laundry, you can bet she was perched at the top of the stairs, telling me she was coming down to help me!

The facility she's in has a 'no restraint' policy, as it's been determined by numerous independent tests that having bed-rails causes more injuries when they try to climb over them, and seat-belting them into wheelchairs means that if they fall out, they bring those chairs down on top of themselves, compounding the problem. So, thankfully, her falls have had minimal affects on her. But it's been 3! The first one was before the bed fall, when she was still using her walker: her gait became unsteady, and she lists to the right, so she toppled over. Hence, the wheelchair, which she managed to careen down the halls in, on her better days.

Yesterday my DH and I went to help her thru lunch, in her room, and I noticed chest congestion when she coughed. I called the nurse, who charted it, and immediately called the doctor. I don't know if he visited her yesterday, and it's too early to call this morning, as they're all being herded into the dining-room for breakfast as I type this.

Naturally I want this cleared up with antibiotics before it turns into pneumonia.

Yesterday I'm not sure she knew us. She kept her eyes closed throughout lunch and only mumbled almost imperceptibly. She seems to go from lucid to sleepy and incoherent depending on...what?....that's what we don't know. It's so difficult to see her that way...I hugged her, stroked her lovely white hair, held her hands, but without any response from her....she's drifting away and here I am, casting a life-preserver around, and she can't grasp it.

As for the nursing home, I haven't a single complaint! I know it doesn't sound good when I say she's fallen a few times, but it's more of a reflection on her insistence that she does everything herself, rather than the care they provide. She did the same thing here, but I didn't have a doctor on call who would come here and assess her each time. She has a lot of eyes on her, and her daily care-givers are angels. But at 91....gosh...she's so frail.

So, my Dears, that's the story in a nutshell. Sort of a nutshell....maybe an oyster shell. I'll call later this morning, when I know she's tucked back into her room for a nap. She continues to sleep quite a bit, and falls asleep almost immediately.

I pray for all of you each evening. I hope our combined prayers are answered.

For now, I'll close this novel (you said you liked to read!!;-) and let you get on with your busy days. As for cleaning windows, I decided I needed new ones on the front of the house (the last ones to be done), so phhhhttt! There goes one job! haha!

Hugs and Blessings to each of you!

Linda

Comments (8)

Sponsored