SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
goldenbuckeye

Nursing home question

goldenbuckeye
17 years ago

I have durable POA and medical POA for my Mom. Does the Dr. at the NH have to honor my request to discontinue a medication if it's for good reason? She takes Celebrex twice a day for arthritis but it increases the chance for heart attack and stroke and she's already high risk. I'm very concerned because last weekend her oxygen level dropped to 82 and they put her on oxygen for about 3 days. They also said she had a respitory infection and put her on an antibiotic. I think her heart caused her oxygen level to drop and I think she had a TIA (mini stroke) because Sunday she was confused, weak, couldn't even hold her mug of water (spilled it all over her bed) and couldn't stay awake. Monday she didn't even remember me being there with her on Sunday but she was pretty well back to normal except I think she has dementia. Her short term memory is very bad.

Her Dr. at the NH is also the medical director but I don't care much for him. He seems to have this ego problem that so many doctors have. Everybody says this is the best NH around but this Dr. makes me wonder how bad the others must be!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz